Wednesday, January 15, 2020

Running in a Winter Catch-22

Running on my gravel loop in winter with all its hard-packed snow and ice is tough. Each step alternates between sinking into a hidden snowy rut or slipping and sliding on slick ice. It forces me to run carefully and slowly which in turn takes a toll on my mental and physical health. I don't need to be an Olympic sprinter, but I definitely have a running stride and speed that I feel comfortable with. This mandatory slowness to prevent injuries forces me to be out in the weather for longer times (anywhere from 5 to 10 minutes extra per run) which obviously increases my chances of making a misstep and getting hurt. Knock on wood, I haven't fallen down yet. I haven't twisted an ankle or knee yet. But I've been close a few times, and that's enough to make me slow down even more. I'm stuck in a winter Catch-22.


No comments:

Post a Comment