Wednesday, August 2, 2017

Max Mallory, I Will Run for You

I have never met Max Mallory. I found out today that I never will. He died from cancer at 22 in 2016. His father Chuck has written some beautiful memories here (Hired Before Graduation) and here (Summer Wishes, Winter Dreams). These memories of complete strangers made me cry. That is the raw power of words. The awesome power of the human condition. As I sat with my head in my hands and tears dripping down my forearms at 6:00 AM, I could feel this father's grief to my core. I could do nothing to ease his pain, but I could easily empathize with him. I could easily imagine Chuck's emotional turmoil oscillate between disbelief, anger, pain, strength, and finally, acceptance of his son's unfair death. I cannot do anything to bring Max back. But, Max, I will run for you today. I will run for you because you cannot. Hop on my back. I will carry you forward. You are remembered.

Completed: 30 Minutes, 3.5 miles, 8:34 pace

No comments:

Post a Comment