Wednesday, May 17, 2017

Running is Not Glamorous

Whoo, it was hot and humid yesterday. I ended up running four miles, but it was mentally and physically hard. The temperature was near 80 and the humidity was near 100%. That is pretty wild for mid-May in northern Wisconsin. I sweated through all my clothes after the first mile or so, which left me to deal with my own stink for the next three. Seriously, no matter how fast you run or what you do, you cannot outrun or out maneuver your own smell. On top of that, the sunscreen applied to my face continually mixed with my sweat and dripped into my eyes. The constant ocular stinging and partial vision just added to the fun. Oh, and the bugs were out in bigger numbers than before. So, little black things with wings stuck on all my exposed skin as I ran around the countryside. Finally, my nose kept clogging and unclogging over and over, so I had to use my sweaty shirt to unceremoniously wipe it about a dozen times in between moments of not being able to breathe. Have you ever tried to wipe away slimy snot with a wet rag? It doesn't work very well. Still, with all these downsides and trials to deal with, I still enjoy being outdoors and exercising and conquering goals. I just need to remember to take it one stinky, sweaty, disgusting step at a time. And, if I'm being honest, it still beats running on cold winter days.

No comments:

Post a Comment