Sunday, March 13, 2011

Roald Dahl Super Happy Fun Time

I recently finished a really good book written by the legendary Roald Dahl. It is called The Wonderful Story of Henry Sugar Plus Six More. It is a short story collection with some real gems. Besides four exciting fictional stories, Roald Dahl includes three interesting non-fiction stories: one about real buried treasure, one about his airplane being shot down in war time, and one about how he became a writer. This story, which he titled "Lucky Break" is a humorous and endearing look at how and why Roald Dahl started writing stories. Did you know that Walt Disney bought rights to his first children's story called The Gremlins? There are lots of great facts and insights into the early beginnings of one of the greatest writers of all time. Honestly, I had never even heard about this book until my daughter showed it to me a few weeks ago. Apparently, there are quite a few Dahl books I haven't read yet. So, onto the next one!

2 comments:

  1. Hi Manley, new fan here :) just posted a review on my blog!!
    Damsel in a Dirty Dress

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks so much, Nicole. I'm so happy you loved Bloated Goat.

    ReplyDelete